5 Designations to Get, After Post-Secondary

Good Morning All,

Today, I'll be providing a list of designation you should aim for after post-secondary school. This list is our personal opinion that we believe that All Architects/Architectural Technologists should obtain sooner rather than later.

1. C.E.T (Certified Engineering Technologist) – OACETT

What: C.E.T. designations have been around for several years and are a nationally recognized credential for those working in the engineering technology or applied science field.

Benefits: Holding this recognized credential in your chosen profession will be considered an asset. As a member of OACETT, the member perks would be available to you including discounted insurance, etc.

Requirements: Your must pass their PPE (professional practice Exam), Write a TR (technology Proposal and Report and must meet their English language benchmark level.


2. BCIN (Qualified Designer)

What: BCIN stands for “Building Code Individual Number”. This can be obtain/register anytime from the Ministry of municipal affairs and housing website (MMAH).

Benefits: Allows you to sign off on your own architectural drawings.

Requirements: Your next step would be completing the written exams and pass with at least 70%. There are many types of exams specifically developed for your type of drawings you’re be signing off, noted that there will always be a design exam and a legal exam. For example, if you specialize in small building and houses, the best design exam would be the “Small Buildings 2012” or “House 2012”. We recommend you take the Small Building 2012 because if you pass this exam, you will receive the House 2012 credit as well. Furthermore, the legal test you would take is the Designer and Legal/Process 2012


3. LEED AP (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)

What: The AP in LEED AP stands for “Accredited Professional” and is divided into 5 divisions, Building + Construction, Operation + Maintenance, Interior Design + Construction, Neighborhood development and Homes.

Benefits: This title tells your employer/future clients that you are well verse in the LEED field, which type you’re specialized in. This is a great asset to have in today’s workforce and as a competitive lead as LEED is growing every year

Requirements: Must pass their LEED Green Associate Exam and experienced on a LEED project(s) in the last 3 years. If you haven’t worked on a LEED project, there is a LEED Project Experience Program you can take to gain the experience/knowledge.


4. AATO (Association of Architectural Technologists)

What: The AATO is an organization for up and coming technologist and technicians in the architectural and building field.

Benefits: Been a part of this organization provides you with either the “Architectural Technologist” or “Architectural technician” title, access to their stamp, and liability insurance.

Requirements: You must complete a minimum 35 hours of 4 courses and 3 hours of 4 seminars as well as having 4 years of work experiences.


5. RAIC (Royal Architectural Institute of Canada)

What: An Organization where Architects/Intern Architects can join and be part of a community of people who create, engaged and network.

Benefits: Liability insurance, continued education, travel, fitness etc.

Requirements: Must be an architect, intern architect, graduated from a degree program or a student of a degree program.


21 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

4310 Sherwoodtowne Blvd, Unit 100, Mississauga, ON L4Z 4C4

  • YouTube - Grey Circle
  • Houzz - Grey Circle
  • Pinterest - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle
  • Facebook - Grey Circle
  • Twitter - Grey Circle
  • Instagram - Grey Circle